9/1/2017: Entry Window is now closed.
11/11/2017: Winning Entry is now posted.
This Year’s Winning Entry!
BestLifeRates.org is proud to present it’s second BLR Film Scholarship, a promotion of young adult insurance education through film and media!
The first of its kind, the BLR Scholarship seeks to spread awareness of protecting one’s family or business with life insurance, but with a unique twist! Students of photography and filmography are asked to portray the emotional characteristics of life insurance with use of photography, video and music.
The peril of losing someone seems distant at times, but it’s a real life situation many Americans face every single year. The financial ramifications can be paralyzing.
We believe personal and emotional experience through audio-visual means are the missing element to connecting Americans to the importance of what life insurance embodies: protection, comfort, and peace of mind.
- Applicants must be a student of Film, Photography, Videography or similar studies. We prefer students with a destination degree in Production, Digital Arts, Fine Art, Film, Television or Videography, but others may be considered.
- Applicants must be age 18 no later than December 31st of 2017.
- Applicants must be High School seniors or current Undergraduates.
- Applicants must use their own work. A replication or reproduction of any kind forfeits the entry and prize.
- Applicants must agree to release their complete work for our use, including, but not limited to: marketing materials, social media, this website or other marketing avenues.
- Applies to United States residents only who are attending United States Universities.
We are proud to present this year’s prize of $1,000 to the best entry, chosen by a group of independent insurance advisers. Winners will be announced through email, this website, and social media, where applicable.
In addition, you will have the pride of seeing your video in media outlets nationwide, with original credit in your name.
You also reserve the right to showcase your work in your personal portfolio in the future.
Winners will be chosen on the following criteria:
- Video length must be between 60 and 180 seconds, and will not be accepted otherwise. We prefer 90 seconds.
- Video may be one cut or multiple, but must represent one continuous thought.
- Video elements may be black and white, color, or both.
- We are looking for the video which portrays the emotional characteristics of what it means for someone to have, or not have, life insurance. Emotions may represent happiness or comfort of having life insurance, or perhaps sadness and loneliness of not having it. More weight will be applied to this aspect than any other.
- Use of any life insurance companies or their products will not be allowed. This means names, logos, or any implication of such.
- Any use of statistics will not be allowed.
- Captions may be used, if necessary.
- Video must be submitted to us in file form, and not already published on any other public platform. (links to data storage in the cloud are accepted)
- Any use of music, sound effects or other audio must be copyright or royalty free, or credited, although sound is not a requirement.
Videos do not necessarily have to be “G” rated, but we’re also not looking for horror films. Have fun, use your best judgement, and try something new. We want this to be well done, but we don’t want it to become a massive project either. Our aim is for you to learn your craft, apply it, and get creative.
Entries must be sent to email@example.com by 11:59.59 p.m. August 31st, 2017. Please include name, contact information, current or intended university, and any other information you want about your video.
You may direct all inquiries through this email.