If you’ve started to research life insurance providers and have come across American Amicable Life Insurance Company, you’re on the right track.
There are few things as important as protecting your family, and looking for a great carrier is step one to securing their future wellbeing.
With so many life insurance policies, plans, and payment structures out there, picking a company can be challenging.
In this review, we’ll educate you on one of the companies vying for your attention, American Amicable, from its history in the industry to its financial status and life insurance products.
Our American Amicable Life Insurance Company Review
American Amicable, founded in Waco, Texas, is no newcomer to the life insurance industry.
The “progressive special markets insurer” has been in business since 1910 as the American Amicable Life Insurance Company of Texas, working to perfect its products for over a century.
Longevity is always a good sign for insurance companies, demonstrating stability and reliability.
American Amicable has seen a recent change in ownership, with the 2010 acquisition of the insurance sector of the American Amicable Group by Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services.
Throughout this transition, the company has remained steadfast in its dedication to providing outstanding life insurance products to its target markets.
Financial Strength and Ratings
American Amicable has also maintained a consistent commitment to financial integrity, responsible management, and support for policyholders.
The company’s financial strength is exemplified by its “A”, or Excellent, rating from A.M. Best.
The rating above suggests American Amicable is in solid financial standing and highly capable of meeting its financial obligations to policyholders.
We can gain even more insight into American Amicable’s financial shape by taking a look at its parent company, Industrial Alliance.
The financial services provider, which offers both health and life insurance solutions, has over 4 million policyholders and more than $109 billion in assets.
The Better Business Bureau is another useful tool for analyzing life insurance providers, helping to verify a company’s legitimacy and assess consumer’s perceptions about them.
American Amicable is accredited and has an “A+” rating, suggesting high customer satisfaction, company transparency, and commitment to resolving issues with clients.
American Amicable presents clients with a wide range of life insurance products designed to meet both short and long term needs.
Namely, American Amicable offers term, whole, universal, and modified life insurance plans.
We’ll take a closer look at each of the products they sell below.
American Amicable offers two simplified term life insurance products: Non-medical and Association Term, both of which can be obtained without a medical exam.
The non-medical option provides anywhere from $25,000 to $250,000 of coverage, at various term lengths.
You can also opt for a return of premium rider or convert your policy into a permanent one later on.
The Association Term policy is available to employees of the government, state-funded schools, first responders, railroad and hospital employees, and their spouses.
These policies can be obtained between the ages of 18 and 65 in 10-year renewable terms.
With American Amicable’s universal policies, you can choose between medically underwritten and simplified coverage.
The company’s no exam policy comes with the flexibility and accumulation that make universal coverage appealing, but with a few limits.
The policies max out at $250,000 and come with a 15-year no lapse guarantee.
The medically underwritten policy comes with a no lapse guarantee and no defined maximum amount of coverage.
American Amicable also offers whole life insurance policies to applicants between the ages of 0 and 85.
These smaller policies often function as final expense coverage and do not require a medical exam for underwriting.
They come with guaranteed death benefits and premiums and cannot be altered if your health changes during the length of the policy.
Policyholders can borrow from the cash value of the policy as well.
In addition to these policy options, American Amicable also offers Modified life insurance, which allows you to add cash accumulation to your term or whole life coverage.
American Amicable has some great attributes. Here are a few of the benefits we like best:
- No exam: Medical exams and blood tests are not required during the application process, an advantage to applicants who want to avoid the checkup and get a policy in place more quickly.
- Plans from 0 to 85: American Amicable will insure you as late in life as 85, or from day 1, far less stringent than other providers’ age requirements.
- No unforeseen cancellations: As long as the customer makes the correct payments at the correct times, American Amicable will never cancel their account due to changes in age or in health.
- Features: American Amicable offers a variety of extra features like death benefit plans and no-cost accelerated benefits. Additionally, American Amicable gives customers the opportunity to accumulate cash value that can be used for emergencies or other financial needs.
There are not that many stand-out disadvantages linked to American Amicable, but the following issues might be worth noting:
- Policy limits: The highest coverage amount on most of American Amicable’s policies is only $250,000.
- Rising rates: It’s normal to see premium increases for things like changes in health and age. However, customers reported that American Amicable’s rates jump high without warning.
- User experience: American Amicable’s website is out-of-date, adding to a less than stellar customer experience for individuals applying directly with the company.
- Application: Unfortunately, the application process isn’t very clearly drawn out for customers online. In order to receive more information about policies and life insurance, customers have to provide contact information and wait for customer service to contact them.
American Amicable is a highly-rated and widely popular insurer.
With a simple yet standard application process and no medical exam requirement, American Amicable could be advantageous for applicants.
Overall, American Amicable is a diverse and affordable provider with options for almost anyone.
But they still aren’t among our best life insurance companies.
You should research multiple providers to land on the right one and compare quotes to see what kind of rates you can expect to pay.
American Amicable Life Insurance
- (800) 736-7311
- 425 Austin Avenue
Waco, TX 76701
Company Name (and subsidiaries)
- American Amicable Life Insurance Company of Texas
- IA American Life Insurance Company
- Occidental Life Insurance Company of North Carolina
- Pioneer American Insurance Company
- Pioneer Security Life Insurance Company