Whether you’re a stay-at-home mom or a business owner, you’re likely to need life insurance coverage sometime in your life.
Life insurance policies offer the protection families, and sometimes businesses, need to thrive.
They’re also a major investment, so picking the right life insurance company is crucial.
One insurer that should be on your radar is American United Life, a company with over a century of experience offering group and individual life insurance solutions.
In this review, we’ll break down the company’s history, financial standing, and products to aid you in your search for the right life insurance provider.
Our American United Life (AUL) Insurance Company Review
American United Life (AUL) Insurance Company is the primary life insurance division of OneAmerica—a large group of companies that includes multiple insurance and financial services firms.
The company has been offering life insurance to American clients for over 140 years, opening its doors in 1877.
In 2000, the company reorganized under parent company OneAmerica.
In recent years, OneAmerica has acquired several financial services firms to increase its service options.
While the company operates a network of agents throughout the United States, it still has close ties to its headquarters in Indianapolis.
For the past four years, OneAmerica has been the game-day radio sponsor for the Indianapolis Colts.
At present, the company’s CEO is J. Scott Davison, who has held leadership positions in the company since 2000.
Unlike most life insurance companies, OneAmerica is a mutual company owned by its policyholders.
It should be noted products are underwritten by American United Life Insurance Company, The State Life Insurance Company, Pioneer Mutual Life Insurance Company, and all long term care insurance is solely underwritten through The State Life Insurance Company who resides in Indiana.
Financial Strength & Ratings
If you want to ensure you or your family receive the benefits of your policy, you need to work with a company that is responsibly managed.
We’ve compiled a list of the company’s performance ratings from the world’s largest rating bodies, all of which suggest the company is in excellent financial shape:
We can also look to the company’s revenue and assets to assess its financial strength.
In 2018, OneAmerica brought in over $1.85b in annual revenue and experienced substantial growth in sales.
The company has over $77b in assets under administration, making it one of the largest life insurance providers in the nation.
Overall, OneAmerica offers evidence of strong financial performance and continued growth.
Last, we can look to customer sentiment to assess the company. AUL has been registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1991 and maintains an “A+” rating.
In addition to reliable indicators from consumer watchdog groups, OneAmerica experienced a 93% customer retention rate in 2018.
This statistic is a strong indicator that its policyholders are satisfied with AUL’s insurance products and services.
American United Life Insurance Company offers two insurance products to its customers in the United States:
Term life insurance is an affordable insurance product that can help your family protect against loss.
Instead of a life insurance policy that lasts for the duration of your life, a term life insurance policy is designed to be effective for a set time frame.
AUL offers 10, 15, 20, and 30-year term periods to its policyholders.
Each of their term policies has low up-front costs to help you gain access to the protection you need.
You can shape your term policy to cover your family for the duration of your mortgage or other financial commitments.
As long as you pay your premiums, the death benefit associated with your policy will never decrease.
Once the term is over, the death benefit will lose value on an annual basis.
AUL’s policies lose their entire death benefit five years after the end of the term.
If you do want to extend your AUL policy, you can convert it into a whole life insurance policy to access permanent coverage.
Whole life insurance offers you lifetime coverage, which can help you and your family contend with a range of expenses.
Unlike term life insurance, AUL’s whole life insurance allows you to access the cash that you’ve paid into your premium.
This can be an excellent resource if there is an emergency in your family, but there does have to be a specific reason you need to tap into your policy’s value. Not all circumstances qualify.
American United Life offers flexible whole life insurance plans to help you protect the financial viability of your family.
You also receive a guarantee that your premiums will not increase throughout the duration of the policy. Some policies may even offer yearly dividends.
AUL allows you to customize the way you pay your premiums.
Some policyholders pay premiums for the duration of their life, while others pay higher premiums over a shorter amount of time.
Either way, you can build an insurance policy to suit your financial situation.
Other Life Insurance Products
In addition to the above personal life insurance policies, American United Life also offers its clients the ability to purchase commercial life insurance policies.
Group Life Insurance
If you’re looking to offer extensive benefits to your employees, you can purchase group life insurance policies through American United Life.
Your business can pay for the insurance or provide it as an optional product at a reduced rate to staff members.
You can even set up the plans to automatically deduct from staff wages.
Business Life Insurance
If you want to ensure the death of a staff member doesn’t have a catastrophic impact on the viability of your company, life insurance can be a solid protection method.
Business life insurance can also be used as a retirement product.
If you want to improve your current employee compensation strategy, business life insurance plans at AUL may be the right option.
Alternatives to American United Life
AUL is a viable option for life insurance, but it isn’t your only one.
If you’re considering partnering with American United Life, particularly for whole life insurance, be sure to factor in some of the competitors below as well:
- Northwestern Mutual: Northwestern Mutual is the cream of the whole life crop. Their permanent policies are top-notch in quality and affordability.
- New York Life: New York Life is another extremely reputable and established company specializing in affordable whole life insurance.
- Mutual of Omaha: Mutual of Omaha offers a wide selection of whole life products, including children’s policies.
What We Like About American United Life
There are plenty of advantages associated with choosing American United Life as your next life insurance partner.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the best aspects of this insurance provider:
- Strong Financial Ratings: American United Life has some of the highest financial strength ratings in the industry. If you’re looking for an insurance provider that shows evidence of financial stability, AUL is a reliable option.
- Life Insurance for Businesses: In addition to personal life insurance plans, American United Life also offers commercial life insurance plans for businesses and employers.
- Strong Customer Feedback: Insurance companies are notorious for negative online reviews, but It’s hard to find another life insurance provider with this strong of a reputation with its policyholders.
- Online Policy Management: If you have a life insurance policy with AUL, you’ll be able to view its components via a convenient online portal.
- Well Established: Working with a new insurance company can be extremely risky. With AUL being part of a group that can trace its origins to the 19th century, this is undoubtedly a company that has withstood the test of time.
What We Don’t Like About American United Life
While AUL has plenty to offer its policyholders, there are still a few downsides to keep in mind.
- High Prices: American United Life Insurance Company is known for having policy prices on the higher end of the insurance market.
- Limited in Regional Areas: If you’re not located in a large city, you may struggle to find an agent near you. The American United Life agent network is not as extensive as some of the major players in the industry.
- Limited Products: If you’re looking for other types of insurance, you won’t find many options at AUL. While other OneAmerica companies provide different policies, you won’t be able to source them from AUL.
- Not Available in All 50 States: Certain policies and riders may not be available in your state. You should speak to a local agent to determine if your preferred option is available in your area. AUL does not operate at all in the state of New York.
American United Life offers commendable customer service and quality life insurance products and is backed by formidable financial ratings.
Depending on your circumstances and goals, whether they are protecting your family, employees, or business, AUL could be the perfect insurer for you.
But what’s right for one individual may not be the best for another.
The key is to compare the company against its competitors, getting quotes from a range of providers to ensure you get the best policy for your needs.